Glowy Rocks

Glowpebbles0001

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!

I hope you’re enjoying the day off and celebrating with friends and family.    I’ve got a whole gang of family members at my house celebrating, so I’ll leave you with this quick eco tip for the 4th.

If you’re celebrating outside, keep a glowy path of rocks leading guests to and from the dining area to the house.   All you have to do is gather rocks and pebbles and cover them with a simple coat of glow-in-the-dark paint (from the craft store).

The paint works by “charging” up in the sun all day and the reflect the stored light at night.   It’s actually a great thing to do for Halloween, but I find it works great in summer to add light to the backyard without installing any actual outdoor lighting.

Have fun…enjoy…and celebrate the 4th!

1. happyathome says:

This is a great idea for my path to the patio! Great tip! Have a Happy 4th of July!

2. Amy Woidtke says:

Wow Danny! That is SO clever!
    And the glowy paint isn’t toxic? I suppose they have that in acrylic version for kids which has to be non-toxic cuz those kids, they like to eat stuff!
    Hmm…wonder what other neat glowy projects I can do?! *brain starts ticking*

3. Can you take a picture of the glowing rocks????? I want to see what it looks like at night.

4. jill says:

This sounds like a cool idea! I also would like to see a night picture

5. I am a search engine optimization fan, love to blog about building links, one way links, back links with directory submission and if you are curious check out my blog for interesting and insightful seo techniques.

6. jenn says:

I third the notion about a night photo! By the way, I just recently started reading your blog and I’m addicted. Thanks!!

7. nancy hart says:

can you give us a brand for this paint? it goes on clear?
    thanks, great idea.
    nancy hart

8. What a fabulous idea! We’ll have to give it a try!

9. Love this tip!
    Wouldn’t it make a fun nighttime hunt for kids if you scattered them around the yard?

10. Talk about easy outdoor lighting! This idea is so simple, but I know my daughter would love the idea. Time to stock up on some glow-in-the-dark paint!

11. Hannah says:

Brilliant! in so many ways.

12. Kathy says:

Thanks for the idea! We gave it a try and realized we probably need an extra coat of paint to really make the rocks glow at night…or maybe they need to be reactivated by spending some time under a bright light.

13. Maria P says:

Thanks for this idea!
    It’s really clever!

14. Linda Evans says:

Tell me where i can purchase glow rocks for my yard.
    813-258-6231 or 813-781-8766