Flag Drapes

Guest Room

I recently was looking around on some design blogs for inspiration, ideas and just—well—-wasting time when I saw a living room photo that caught my eye.   The homeowner had hung a flag in front of the window, which was photographed so beautifully with the morning light poring through the thin fabric.

Looking at the photo, I thought flags could be a great idea to hang in the guest room as drapes.   So I picked up some cafe curtain rings (those little clips that hang onto fabric) and bought a couple of nautical inspired nylon flags from a store in old towne Williamsburg, VA.

Originally, I planned on sourcing vintage flags from flea markets and antique stores.  But you know the saying: if you go to those places hunting for something very specific, you're never going to find it.  So after searching about 6 stores, I gave up and bought them online.  But nylon is still a good green choice because it's not PVC (so there's no harmful off-gassing) and they are totally machine washable and durable.

Sure, it's a little "out there" with the design, but I'm pleased with the result.  The super cozy guest room has a yacht room feel to it (without being literal) and I like how cozy and comfy the new bed and reading lamps above the bed make the overall room feel.

1. That’s a great idea! Extremely cool!

2. Maryanne says:

It’s all in HOW you do it.
    Where I live, there’s a no-flags-as-window-coverings thing in the covenants, a way of addressing the “Hey, look – we hung the Confederate Flag and a Budweiser Banner on the living room window” school of decor.

3. Amy says:

I am totally going to use this idea myself.

4. I love the look of the Union Jack as well as maritime flags as drapes. It adds so much more than a decoration on the wall ever would!
    p.s. <3′d seeing you last night on tv!

5. Kendra says:

The light coming in through the flags is gorgeous. Kudos to you for your stint on Top Design! Fun to watch.

6. That is a really creative idea. I don’t believe I have ever seen anything like that before. A friend of mine used really interesting looking shower curtains once…which looked unique, but clearly not like those flags. Super cool.

7. makiko johnston says:

Sorry Danny…I’m not completely sold on the idea. This one reminds me too much of college days…when people used to hang flags on their windows….although using the cafe curtain hooks makes it look a bit classier than just using ‘sticky tacks’ or thumb tacks.

8. As a Designer I think this is very creative. I would no have thought of doing it myself. But it has given me ideas for different window treatments that go beyond the ordinary.
    Thanks for posting

9. Brielle says:

I like it. Now I know to snatch up any flags that I see at thrift stores.

10. Rachel says:

I love it! My part of the country gets too cold for anything but fully lined drapes but if I was in a more mild part of the country I would totally do this, it looks great!

11. JAMAR says:

i remember seeing this in living etc and it was a union jack flag in a living room. sweet. i want to do something like this in my son’s room.

12. brand-eye says:

i love it, it looks awesome.

13. Condo Blues says:

I dated a guy who collected flags of all of the countries he traveled to as a souviner. However, he couldn’t pull this off as well as you did. His room had more of a dorm room feel to it. Couldn’t be that his idea of “art” was posters taped to the walls now could it? :)

14. Elizabeth says:

very cool. esp. “don’t give up the ship”

15. Love this idea. Patriotic and graphic.

16. keo says: